Thursday, January 14, 2010

China, Silver and Lots o' towels

My major break-down moment during this whole planning process came while registering for gifts at Dillard's. If you don't know me that well, let me preface this by filling you in on a little peeve of mine...I despise all department stores. Nothing specifically annoying about Dillard's, it is just the general concept of "Let's pile everything we can think people would need into one single store." I get lost; I get aggravated; and in the case of wedding registries, I apparently get pretty emotional, too.

Brady and I registered at three stores (to accommodate the large number of guests we're inviting): Dillard's, Bed, Bath & Beyond (a must for any soon-to-be married couple) and Home Depot.

First, let me just put this out there point blank: If you are not living with your significant other, and will be starting a new home as well as a new life together, you MUST register at BB&B. Not only are their associates very knowledgable about what you need, but they are efficient, patient and understanding....oh, and did I mention that they have EVERYTHING you need?

Brady and I started our voyage picking out towels. We moved on slowly to bathroom appliances, and arrived quickly in the bedding department. This was our first "speed bump" as some onlookers may say. Brady found a comforter set he loved. Me? Well, I wasn't so keen on it. As I prepared to defend my case about how chosing a comforter was a big deal, something we would be looking at every day, I stopped myself, and chose to instead ask MYSELF a question that I continued to ask throughout the rest of our shopping escapade:

IS IT WORTH THE ARGUMENT?

I mean...this is a bed comforter for crying out loud. My future hubby likes it? I like it. More than that, I like that he cares enough to voice his opinion and trek through the many aisles of plates and silverware with me. Our associate, Anna (I think), informed me that many husbands made themselves comfortable in massage chairs for the duration of the registry process. She also told me that many women come in alone or with mothers, bridesmaids, or wedding coordinators. I can't imagine picking out things that my husband and I BOTH will use, all on my own! But to each his (her) own. For those ladies of you fortunate enough to have a fiance who will h0ld the scanner with you, relish in this luxury, and always remember...he does have an opinion.

Now to the specifics:

1. DON'T be stingy. I found my only argument with myself was "Do you REALLY need this?" The answer? Maybe not. But register for it anyway. If someone gets it for you, and you decide otherwise, it is easily returnable. (at BB&B anyway)

2. I find it helpful to categorize my guests into two groups: the sensible ones, and the spontaneous ones. While registering, I scanned a fair share of towels, plates, pots and pans, etc. However, I didn't neglect to also pick out a nice margarita machine, some decorative pieces, and a massage chair. Think of what your guests WANT to bring you. The parents, friends or parents, and relatives know you NEED towels and kitchen utensils. Your college friends, friends from grade school, and younger cousins WANT to get you some nifty serving dishes that they will one day be scooping queso out of for the superbowl game.

3. On the other hand...be sensible. I registered for some cute dishes I thought would be nice to keep out with mints, candy and other nibbles. When I looked online, however, I realized that one, small, silver "candy" dish, was indeed $80. Did I emphasize that it was small? While I believe stinginess should be thrown out the window...realize that some things are a waste of space, and are just more for your guests to sift through.

4. Get the china. I almost didn't, but I forget...although I'm 21 and will be eating off mine and Brady's mom's china for a few more years...I will someday be a momma. And then I will need china of my own.

5. I suggest printing off a list of necessities for a registry (I got mine at theknot.com) but I didn't use it until after. I registered at the stores, and went online with the list to check off what I had gotten, and to add to the list what I had forgotten.


I realize I may have come off a bit negative by starting this post off by whining about my emotional fits...but in reality, registering is actually exciting and for dear Brady, absolutely exhilerating. (Dillard's has a scanner that YOU use, BB&B unfortunately, does not.) Happy registering!

UP NEXT: Flowers....and other decorations. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, BBandB was the best to work with, and still are. They are super easy to return stuff and give you store credits and they never short you on anything. Some of the department stores will only give you back what the 'current price' is when you return it. So if someone paid 50 and now it's on sale for 20, you only get the 20. Definitely not cool!
    My husband did have an opinion, and I'm glad we agreed and compromised on items. The thing we actually got the least was our bedding and towels. My suggestion: register for what you need first, so at showers you will definitely get what you 'need'. Then, if you get most of that, go back and add more as the wedding gets closer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEG!! Though I'm not getting married myself (or anytime soon) I enjoy reading all these little tips, and reading about your experiences!!! :)
    Hope all the planning goes well!

    ReplyDelete