Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Three's Company....So is Seven

The first thought that entered my mind when I got engaged was how I was going to pick bridesmaids out of my amazing, and rather LARGE group of friends. Brady and I had discussed who would be included in the bridal party many times before, but I always assumed that once the ring was slipped on my finger, I would have either lost touch with some friends (which would sadly have made my decision easier) or I would have an epiphany about who should be up there standing on "stage" with me.



Ha...Is all I have to say.



Let's start with how I began this strenuous and rather emotional process. First I cried and complained to Brady, insisting that all nine or ten of my friends be bridesmaids, ALONG with my sister as maid-of-honor, and might-as-well-be-sister but is still "in-law" Lauren. When we quickly came to the realization that this was impossible for a number of reasons (one, because it would look kind of obnoxious, and two, because Brady is one of those, "I'd rather have a few best friends than a ton of good friends" kind of people). Then I got so upset over not being able to have EVERYONE in the wedding, I decided it would be my two sisters, and one of my oldest friends, who is practically family. But then, of course, Brady was upset that his few best friends would be cut short....



THERE WAS AND STILL IS LITERALLY NO HAPPY MEDIUM!!!

I literally went from 5, to 3, to only maid-of-honor, to none at all. Never have I been hit with such a dilemma...would feelings get hurt? would my friends be offended? take it personally? think I didn't love them as much as the others?

Finally, I came to the conclusion that those who weren't in my wedding would be the ones who would understand most that the decision isn't about who I am closest too, who I have known longest, or who will look best standing next to me. Telling these girls was one of the hardest things I have ever done, but I know that no hard feelings came from it....ultimately, it is YOUR wedding, and other people can't rationally be upset for not being part of the spotlight.

In other news, these friends of mine are completely included in every other wedding aspect, they just save a couple bucks by not having to buy a poofy, obnoxious bridesmaid dress. ;) (Which of course, mine isn't...)

UP NEXT:

Invitations...Saving money on them, if not solely for the fact because nobody cares about what they look like but you. (well, maybe the moms will care a smidge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment